The Sewell Travel Award for Public Health (STAPH) Committee is accepting applications for 2015 Sewell Stipends. The deadline for submission is July 15, 2015.
This year’s APHA meeting will take place in Chicago, IL from October 31 through November 4, 2015. The theme this year is Health in All Policies. For more information on the meeting see APHA’s website.
History and Purpose of the Sewell Fund
The late Dr. Winifred Sewell worked with several professional associations during her long career in medical and pharmacy librarianship/information technology. This led to her appreciation of the key role that librarians and information professionals can play in raising the quality of health care. Convinced that interacting with public health and pharmacy colleagues would forge a much deeper understanding of the users’ roles and needs, she established the Grace and Harold Sewell Memorial Fund, Inc. (The Fund) to provide financial support to librarians and information providers who plan to attend the annual meetings of the American Public Health Association and the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy.
The Fund aims to increase librarians’ effectiveness at providing reliable/relevant information to health care professionals in the fields of public health and pharmacy. To achieve this purpose, the Fund awards reimbursement funds to librarians and other information professionals to defray association membership/registration/travel and per diem expenses of attending and/or participating in activities of the American Public Health Association (APHA).
Type and Number of Stipends for 2015
Type and Number of Stipends for 2015
Stipends will be awarded to:
- At least eight individuals traveling significant distances (i.e. not living in the Chicago area) will each receive a stipend of at least $1,190.
- At least two individuals living in the Chicago area (and therefore needing less travel and accommodation funding) will receive stipends of at least $695.
- You will be required to join APHA to attend the meeting. The cost is $200; Early Bird (pre-August 13, 2015) Member Registration is $495.
- Be sure you review the Membership Categories (https://www.apha.org/become-a-member/membership-categories) to determine if you are eligible for a reduced cost.
Please note, this stipend WILL NOT cover the full costs of attendance, it merely helps to offset some of the costs.
Have more questions? See the Sewell FAQ
MLA’s Public Health/Health Administration Section (PH/HA) offers a stipend of up to $500 to assist one section member in attending the 2015 MLA Annual Meeting in Austin who would otherwise have difficulty in doing so. The hope is that this stipend increases professional contacts, projects, and involvement for the recipient, and expands the pool of active members of PH/HA. PH/HA will offer this stipend only during years in which sufficient funds are available in the PH/HA treasury.
CRITERIA FOR RECEIVING AWARD
- Must be a current member of PH/HA and MLA.
- Any PH/HA member may receive this stipend one time only.
- Must submit the completed application.
Preferential selection will be given to applicants who document that they (in order of preference).
- Are presenting a paper at a PH/HA section program.
- Are a Chair or member of a PH/HA committee.
- Are presenting a paper at any section program (content should be relevant to PH/HA members).
- Are presenting a poster at the meeting (content should be relevant to PH/HA members).
- Have formal obligations at the MLA Annual Meeting relevant to PH/HA.
ACCEPTABLE CONFERENCE EXPENSES
- MLA conference registration fees
- MLA conference continuing education course fees
- Lodging costs
- Travel expenses (Air fare, rail, or daily parking fees)
SELECTION OF RECIPIENT
- The recipient of the award will be determined by a jury comprised of three PH/HA members, including the Secretary/Treasurer.
CONDITION OF RECEIVING AWARD
- Stipend recipients will document their experiences at the MLA conference for the PH/HA blog by August 31 of each year. An essay of 500-1,000 words would be sufficient, although greater length is fine. Some possible themes: people you met at the conference or projects that grew out of these contacts.
- Recipients will be required to attend the PH/HA section business meeting during the conference and are expected to attend the PH/HA section program when possible or (in the case of conflicts) other programming relevant to PH/HA activities.
Application Deadline: May 4, 2015
Notification Deadline: May 8, 2015
Questions and Submission Email Address:Kay Deeney, MLS, AHIP
PH/HA Travel Stipend Chair 2015
The Kaiser Family Foundation, has a new interactive tool that provides up-to-date information on U.S. health spending by federal and local governments, private companies, and individuals.
This tool was developed by analysts at the Kaiser Family Foundation using data from the National Health Expenditure Account and will be updated annually with each data release. A short tutorial video provides instructions for using the tool.
“Congratulations to Chair-Elect Robert Shapiro, Jr. MA, and Secretary/Treasurer Rosie Hanneke, MLS!
Thanks to all of our candidates for your willingness to actively participate in the life of of the Section.
The successful candidates will begin their term at the Section annual (business) meeting held during the MLA 2015 annual meeting.”